Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 7: The Next Joe

"The United States consumes one-fifth of all the world's coffee, making it the largest consumer in the world. But few Americans realize that agriculture workers in the coffee industry often toil in what can be described as "sweatshops in the fields." Many small coffee farmers receive prices for their coffee that are less than the costs of production, forcing them into a cycle of poverty and debt." - Global Exchange

Since the seems-to-be-simple start of my 13 Days to Thanksgiving project, the task itself is starting to weigh on me. There are so many organizations out there worthy of our support. The task of sifting through and picking the '13' is a bit harder than I thought. But, I am trying my best to look for causes that take the least amount of effort to make the biggest difference possible.

I drink coffee. I enjoy coffee ... in its varieties and uniqueness of beans from each origin. More often than not, these delicious beans are farmed and harvested in lesser developed areas. One of the ways we coffee drinkers can make an impact and create a more loving and less conflicting world is by supporting 'Fair Trade Coffee'. I really believe that a more balanced, less oppressed world will lead to a more peaceful world.


Last night, I stopped by Folklore Coffee & Company and bought two 12oz bags of coffee from them.  By doing so, I successfully supported 'Fair Trade Coffee' (spot the logo on the bag) and two local small businesses at the same time because these are roasted locally by Square One Coffee! This is so easy to do. Will you join me?


No comments: