Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 9: "When I get to heaven, will I feel full?"

That was the question asked to her father by the then 7 years old girl. I have no idea there exists such a syndrome. I stumbled upon this while going through my research on Charity Navigator website. But when I did, it intrigued me so much that I spent hours researching it. This is, in essense, a reverse to my earlier post of obesity epidemic in our country and the world. We generally approach it from a standpoint that obesity is a self inflicted medical condition.

Every 1 in 15,000 newborn is affected with Prader-Willi syndrome. It's caused by the deleted or unexpressed chromosome 15. Behaviorally, it's associated with an extreme and insatiable appetite which often resulting in morbid obesity (source: Wikipedia).

Unfortunately, there's no cure for this currently. Prader-Willi Syndrome Association USA is an organization aiming to:
  • Promote & fund research
  • Provide education
  • Support to enhance the quality of life of those affected by PWS
PWSA is a small but well run organization worthy of your support. Nothing much I can add here as there's so much to be learned and discovered about this condition. This concludes the 9th installment of my 13 Days to Thanksgiving.

No comments: